Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate at a Glance
Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate provides high quality cocoa and chocolate more sustainably throughout the world and brings our customers peace of mind, integrity and excitement. With balanced efforts on security of supply, sustainability projects and sensory expertise, we create a wide range of outstanding standardized and custom-made products and services. In addition, we provide our customers with extensive market knowledge. We grow a robust, fair and transparent supply chain, from bean to bar, eager to continuously shape industry standards.
To ensure a more sustainable supply of quality cocoa beans, Cargill established our own sourcing and trading operations at origin in Brazil, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Indonesia. Our Cargill Cocoa Promise underlines our commitment to enable farmers and their communities achieve better incomes and living standards.
Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate – the facts:
- We have been active in the cocoa and chocolate space for 40 years
- We are a group of 3,600 passionate cocoa and chocolate experts, all together helping our customers and stakeholders with reliable day-to-day service
- Our knowledge spans 54 locations across the globe. We not only have an unrivaled on-the-ground expertise and experience in origin countries which guarantees customers the highest quality beans, we are also close to our consumer markets and create smiles on the many faces of chocolate-loving consumers worldwide.
- Our business operates 30 production facilities globally
- We are part of Cargill’s 160,000 colleagues, who bring food, agricultural, financial and industrial products to people who need them all around the world.
Creating value at every step across the cocoa supply chain
Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate is present across the entire cocoa supply chain – from origin countries through to customers. We source the very best cocoa beans from farmers and preserve their quality throughout the supply chain. Once the beans arrive at our factories, we blend, roast, grind and press to achieve premium quality raw materials. We then transform these into cocoa and chocolate products, using our deep chocolate knowledge, broad food experience and research & development (R&D) proficiencies. We deliver finished goods to customers in the food service, retail, consumer packaged goods, gourmet & distribution and industrial sectors.
In addition to this, we provide services to our customers that add value including:
- Product development support – our application centres support with R&D and recipe optimization and our innovation days provide you with the product inspiration you need
- The Cargill Cocoa Promise – Working in close partnership with origin countries, governments and NGOs, we offer customers sustainable solutions with integrity. The Cargill Cocoa Promise is our commitment and strategy to improving the lives of cocoa farmers and their communities, while securing a long-term supply of cocoa. It is vital to our business to meet the growing global demand of cocoa beans for the future and in order to secure a thriving cocoa sector we need to contribute to the livelihoods of cocoa farmers and their communities. The latest Cargill Cocoa Promise global report describes our progress, learnings and the impact of our evolved approach in improving the livelihoods for farmers and communities in our origin countries.
- Price Risk Services – for decades, Cargill has been known and recognized for its risk management expertise, helping customers to manage the sometimes-costly fluctuations in global cocoa, dairy and sugar markets. Also, in the uncertain world of the cocoa supply and demand, Cargill’s easy-to-implement Price Risk Services help you minimize risk and costs
Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate in Asia Pacific:
Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate has been operational in the Asia Pacific region since 1995. Our initial operations in Makassar, Indonesia were set up for trading and supplying Cargill processing plants in Brazil and Europe.
In 2014, we opened a processing plant in Gresik, Indonesia. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology, it enables us to deliver on Asia’s growing demand for premium cocoa products. In June 2019, we opened our first innovation centre in Singapore to help customers anticipate market forces and shifting consumer values around tastes, nutrition and food safety. It also connects the company’s customers in the Asia Pacific region to a global network of 10 other innovation centres and 2,000 food scientists.
On the sustainability front, over 33,300 farmers and counting have benefited from Cargill Cocoa Promise programs in Indonesia. Cargill tailors its sustainability approach to the individual smallholder farmers and local traders with whom we partner. For adoption of best on-farm practices, we coach farmers one-on-one, with over 7,000 having been successfully coached so far.
Each farm in our program will be mapped to monitor consistent land use and to guarantee cocoa is not coming from protected forests. Traceability is also a key principle of our program. We use the latest technology to track farmer volumes through the supply chain and then we directly pay out corresponding sustainability premium payments. With a leading financial institution, we encourage farmers to open bank accounts for the quickest, most secure means of payment.